Sunday, October 4, 2009

BP2_2009101_Anti-teaching

Based on the assumption that the educational systems as we know them do not work for the vast majority of the students moving through them, what would work?

What would work for the vast majority of learners if our current educational systems fail most learners? I think that most educators would agree that teachers must use a many different methods of teaching to reach each student. Both MI theory and BBL suggest that all students do not learn in the same way. Therefore, a good educator must continue to strive to "mix it up" in the classroom.

Are virtual learning environments with course management systems the answer? What about PLE's and Web 2.0 tools?

I do not know. Again, I think a good teacher will try many different techniques to reach their students. Not everyone has access to a computer. Many schools do not have enough computer labs that online instruction can happen within the school day. However, CMS, PLE's, and other Web 2.0 tools are other ways to help educate. I just don't feel that it should be used exclusively in a public school setting.

I recently created a website to help my students learn how to play the recorder. This year I teach 4th and 5th graders from the entire district. Surprisingly, only 25% of the students did not have access to a computer. However, I'm not sure if all my students would have computers or online connections that would be fast enough to view the Screenflow tutorials that I created. For me, this is just another tool to help my students succeed. This is not the only way I will use to teach my kids.

Is technology itself enough? What are the key components you would include in new schools? What are the key components for 21st century schools and learning beyond the test?

I do believe that PLE's are a great way to help students to personalize their learning. It helps with self-reflection and is a great way for teachers to give feedback. Unfortunately, so many schools are being graded by the public and by the government based on how well their students perform on a test. It is unfortunate because not many schools are able to help students nurture critical thinking skills. This is where a PLE would be really useful. If a student had access to a computer in the evening, they would be able to continue learning outside of class where the teacher has to devote so much time to "teaching to the test".

1 comment:

  1. We need to get rid of "the tests" - we all know it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete